• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what would be a beter choice 2.5 or 3L

toddw814

CEG'er
i have a 99 csvt with 117k on it and i love it but my problem i am haveing is i want to turbo it but before i do i'm gonna build the motor and before i sink all this money into the motor what am i gonna get if i swap the 3L ?i have been told the 2.5 duratech would be a better fix and run just as strong .
now for the million dollar question. What is the better motor the 2.5 or the 3L?
you only get like 20 to 30 more horse difference and i can due that to the 2.5 with a few bolt ons
pls help me out so i don't go down the wrong road
and if you can also send me in the right direction with what i would all need to make sure I'm not gonna have to build anouther one .
i want it done right so when i want to get a lill stupid the motor is there to handle it and wont pop on me over something over looked.
thank you

Do a lot more reading. Personally if you are going to do a turbo setup I would get a newer 3L with some rod bearings, headers, etc. You have a lot of reading and searching to do. What I would personally do is use the svt parts off of your current engine to build a 3L that can handle the boost. Also you are going to need to take the tranny out and build it with an lsd, new shift forks if you need them, and a clutch that can handle that power, so you might as well drop a 3L in while your doing all of that. Like I said, READ and SEARCH, it will get you the farthest.

you know i have done alot of reading but i get a mixed message
why cant i get just a straight answer
what makes the 3L beter

Um...

The 3L having more displacement is what makes it better? Sure you can get 3L power levels out of a 2.5L but that's going to be with nearly every bolt on and going to probably end up being just as much as a 3L. If you swap to the larger engine you have a better / bigger / more powerful starting point to do whatever you want with.

you know i have done alot of reading but i get a mixed message
why cant i get just a straight answer
what makes the 3L beter

-More tq/hp
-Better oil drainage in heads
-Better oil sump
-Easier/cheaper to replace parts
-Mass quantities of engines(availability)
-Cylinder Heads flow better

That should be enough to start. Others can add to it.

if you want don't want to spend extra now, turbo the 2.5. If/when it blows up, replace with 3.0

Although if you're gonna go through all the work of installing a turbo kit, why not just pull the engine and replace with a better one for 500 bucks or so. I mean you have to get the car tuned anyway for the turbo. It almost qualifies as doing preventative maintanence like anything else. Sure you don't HAVE to replace something, but if you're doing something else that makes replacing that thing easier, might as well just replace it.

if you want don't want to spend extra now, turbo the 2.5. If/when it blows up, replace with 3.0

Although if you're gonna go through all the work of installing a turbo kit, why not just pull the engine and replace with a better one for 500 bucks or so. I mean you have to get the car tuned anyway for the turbo. It almost qualifies as doing preventative maintanence like anything else. Sure you don't HAVE to replace something, but if you're doing something else that makes replacing that thing easier, might as well just replace it.

you got a point b/c if im gonna spend almost 4 grand for the whole turbo kit mise well spend the extra 500 and do it all in one swap then i can put the turbo on while the motor is out and would accually make it easyer
good point thanks

Back