• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L but not for contour. all the info you can give

Sable23

Veteran CEG'er
hey guys, i am looking for as much info as you can possibly give me in one place about the 3L engine (especially the 04-05 taurus/sable engine). i apologize for making this thread as i know this has been covered like eleventy billion times i am sure, but i would like to have as much info in one place for reference.

unfortunatly i think the engine in my sable is toast. solid oil pressure light under 1k RPMs and the oil in the filter looks like metalic paint. now it being a 2k model year it is basically a hybrid of the 99 and 01 engines. i would like to figure out what it would take to get an 04-05 engine in there using my COP design (just spent 150 on 6 brand new COP like a week before all this happened) and the waterpump from the 04-05 engine. i saw a pic on here of an 01 3L and i think the valve cover had the bolt holes for the COP like mine but with the cam driven waterpump. that would solve my ignition part of the swap, but what else do i need to look out for?

also i was wondering where you guys sourced your 04-05 engines and how much you paid if you dont mind me asking. i did search for this and did not come up with much of anything i guess i was hoping there was a thread dedicated to where people get their 3Ls.

thanks guys!!

I paid 300 for an 04 with -50K and a warrenty, but they usually run around 500 or so.

other than the copo harness, I dont thing there's much complication to putting an 04-05 in an older taurus. you do have the plasic intake manifold right?

because if it's aluminum, it's a VLIM and you'll have to tune out the secondaries in order to remove the IMRC.

The water pump is different on the 00 than the later 3L's. It is cam driven on the 01+ 3L motors. You'd have some issues there. You may be able to reroute lines to get it to work though.

haha no power adders for the sable the tranny wouldnt be able to handle anymore then it already has. as for the engine the reason i refered to it as a mix between a 99 and 01 engine is cause it is an oval port with a serp belt driven waterpump i think if i can find a decent engine for a decent price i am going to go for it. i found an 00 with 88k for 350 and thats the cheapest i found all of the junkyards computers tell them its a 2000 only engine wich it sorta is but if thats the cheapest 00 they can find i dont want to know what they would charge for an 04-05 engine...

i would just get some coolant hoses from an 01 or whatever i can find the water pump inlet hose on my car now is ready to blow it is so rusted and its a very expensive part to replace at the dealer so this would be the perfect oportunity to ditch it once and for all

is the trans in the v8/sho different?

also, I know theres at least one guy with a cd4e 'tour auto pushing 300 or around there, boosted 3.0, I think terry built the trans for him.

so it'll take it unless it's just toast already. technically, the 04 engine is a power adder though.

pretty weird your is oval port with accessory drive water pump, that means they made those heads for just one year, how amazingly strange.

what does your upper intake look like?

oh, and since your working on a taurus, I know a guy (spridget) on the other boards who has a collection of sho and normal tauri. he would most likely be very helpful.

the trans in the V8 sho has the same bell housing pattern but it has a different ratio and instead of using a vss it uses signals from the abs.

the taurus/sable trannies are not very strong i went through 2 ax4s trannies in my old 97 befor the car had 80k on it and my moms 98 with the ax4s is having some troubles at 93k. granted my car has the stronger ax4n but it doesnt take much to brake these trannies. i know an 04-05 engine will make more but i kinda meant it cant take any large increases (such as F.I.) it would for a while but i would be pulling the car appart so fast it wouldnt be worth it, and im going to school so no extra cash lol.

i will get a pic up of my engine soon, the 2000 also has a 2000 specific upper intake manifold, for 2001 they put anti explosion ribs on it because of some problems with exploding intakes if the engine backfired...

yeah i know of Spridget he does know alot about the duratec and i have a similar thread on TCCA (which i frequent more then any other forum) and he has not shown up yet...

DSCF8777.jpg

DSCF8784.jpg

ok well Spridget just replied over on TCCA and basically told me that everything should work fine and anything that doesnt i can just swap over from my engine. so now i need to find a good deal on an 04-05 engine! any help with that would be awesome!!

good deal, yeah, I forgot he's on the tauri forums as well.

I cant believe the newer tauri are still using that pos auto out of the box models, wtf

can I have your front valve cover? never see those ones around

also like the smooth look of that uim

[edit] oops, forgot those dont have the cam driven water pump...

well ford did finally phase out the ax4s late 2002 so that just the left the stronger ax4n which was also used in the windstar and continental. if i do ever end up having to rebuild my tranny i am going to try and piece together some of the stronger parts from the conti and V8 SHO, then hopefully it will last longer.

yeah i also like the smooter 00 intake manifold. it should fit all oval port 3L except it would flow less on the 04-05 motors since it was revised at that time.

idk why i didnt think of site sooner lol i have gotten parts from places off that site before. i found my 75 dollar 70k mile mtx 75 on there.
i may have found my new engine! 20k miles for 800 and only 20 or so miles from my uncles house. it out of an 05

thats the place I use to find my motors, except 800 sounds a little steep, even with only 20k on it. I'd expect some place around 600.

75 for an mtx with only 70k on it is amazing. I payed 300 for mine, and it has 90k on it, came out an svt (read raped) and it appears to be leaking fluid from a small hailine crack/manufacturing defect.

wait, didnt notic your tour is a banger, yeah, those are every were

well i take that back cause you are right that is too much i looked a little further and found one with only 12k for 576 but it is quite a ways away (330 miles)
or one with 22k for 550 136 miles away
or 21k for 470 324 miles away
or 38K for 400 244 miles away i would prefer a slightly lower mile engine over all but it depends on how much money i can get and also i need to see if any of these places will ship an engine either to my house or my local junkyard.

Back