• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Full 3L coil pack bracket - interest check

Bugzuki

Veteran CEG'er
I was working on a full 3L install for fmonkey. During the install I found that there were a bunch of things that do not bolt up very well.

The first thing to show its ugly head was the coil pack. I searched the forum and saw that I could cut a hole in the firewall and mount it there. To be honest I did not want to go that route.

The 3L coil was originally mounted on a bracket. That bracket would not work, even with modification.

So, I started designing a new bracket.

Here are some pictures of what I have come up with:

cpb1.JPG

cpb2.JPG

cpb3.JPG

cpb4.JPG

cpb5.JPG

Here are some pictures of the bracket mounted to an engine out of the car:

cpbMounted1.JPG

cpbMounted2.JPG

cpbMounted3.JPG

Here it is with the Coil Pack:

cpbc1.JPG

cpbc2.JPG

If you look at the electrical connector there is plenty of room to put the plug on.

lets see what it looks like on the car. there's less room than you think there, the plug wires might be able to hit the firewall with engine movement. looks great so far. i went with the "hole in the wall" route, and even that gives me minimal space for movement.

Here are some pictures of the coil pack bracket mount in the car with the wires in place. It is kind of tight back there so you will have to look close. There is at least 1/2 inch between the firewall and the top of the wire plugs. Since the motor moves in an arch centered around the front and rear engine mounts, this distance should workout well.

incar1.JPG

incar2.JPG

incar2.JPG

incar4.JPG

There is about a 1/4 of an inch from the bottom of the coil pack to the valve cover.

I have this all set up with to be manufactured. I just need to know if anyone is interested.

I have also talked with Joe (Blu_fuz) about powder coating. There will be the option to have it painted (black, blue, red, silver or unpainted). Or you could opt to have me send the bracket to Joe for Powder coating. He quoted me a very reasonable price for the coating.

Originally there is about 1/2 inches between the coil wires and the firewall on the 2.5L. If there are issues I could adjust the bracket to move the pack forward about a 1/4 inch, but then it might be hard to get the plug on and off without removing the UIM.

I would supply the bracket with new coil bolts - as you can see in the pictures the stock bolts are too long.

That is a very nice bracket. Powder coated black, it would look like an OEM part. Nice job on that. Powder coating colors are whatever the customer wishes from me and we can discuss it if/when you place your order with bugzuki.

looks like it won't. that'll be something for him to address. it looks like it will only work on the plastic style covers. obviously most of you know, the SVT valve covers and the 01-03 plastic manifold will work together without modification. the only time you reallly need to modify the coilpack location is with 04-05 manifolds or escape manifolds.

i really like the looks of this piece. if i ever find the silver frost svt i want for a daily driver, i'm gonna use one of these. the whole idea would be to make it as factory looking as possible. i <3 clean swaps nice work bugzuki, (as expected by now!)

At this point in time I have not tried the bracket with the 04-05 manifolds. I do not have one. I will see what I can do to get my hands on one, but for now I will have to say it is for the 01-03 manifold. I might come up with a different bracket for the 04-05 coil mounting if this one does not work.

I thought that the plastic valve covers look nicer then the aluminum SVT covers. And with the change to the 3L intake the plastic 2.5L engine cover looks funny. Without the engine cover the IMRC (if retained) looks bad, as well as the bosses that it mounts on. I just think it is a cleaner look to go with the plastic covers. That is my justification for the need of the coil pack bracket.

I am still trying to work out a price for the brackets. I also need to look into shipping options. I would like to be able to ship using a USPS flat rate Priority box. That way my price would include shipping.

Thanks for the nice comments. It takes a lot of time to end up with a quality part. It is nice when all that time and effort is appreciated.

I agree about the plastic manifolds, that bracket looks amazing man, nice work.

I personally used the taurus coil pack though, if fits fine, but when you pull the engine you have to remove the cowling or you will break the coil. but that requires splicing into the harness. your bracket is a much better idea

I have some 05 valve covers if your interested. pm me

[edit] pm quickly, I've been tossed out of my place and they will be recycled if you dont need them

I get 04-05 covers all the time that I scrap for aluminum. If you want a set let me know I have a rear cover now that needs to be tossed soon. $15 plus about $20 shipping and I'll get you a set.

I was going to give them to him for shipping, I already have plenty of aluminum to recycle.

on a lark, how much you think two long blocks plus 2.5 top end part will fetch? I'm not going to tear them down, so its mixed metal...

Back