• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L (pure swap with no mods to Taurus engine)

Version1.1

New CEG'er
From what I've found, it seems that everyone who has done the 3L swap has also done some modding on the engine (i.e. 2.5 heads to raise compression). I'm more or less just looking to take a bone stock 3L out of a 2001-2004 Taurus and setting it into my 99 Contour 5 spd. Besides flashing my factory contour ECU with the 3L maps and swapping the 2.5L fuel rail onto the 3L, is there anything else I would need? Everything should bolt/connect back up as if it was another 2.5L going in right?

Thanks in advance.

what threads have u been reading? only a remote few on here have hybrids. unless of course ur definition of hybrid clashes with what its called here. i'll let someone else help ya. gotta go right now.

you need to read some more.

find out what

full swap - 3L heads and 3L intakes

port matched swap - 3L heads and 2.5 intakes need bugzuki intakes

and hybrid swap - 2.5l heads and intakes

all 3L swaps require some level of Modding this is not a direct bolt in.

good luck.

you need to read some more.

find out what

full swap - 3L heads and 3L intakes

port matched swap - 3L heads and 2.5 intakes need bugzuki intakes

and hybrid swap - 2.5l heads and intakes

all 3L swaps require some level of Modding this is not a direct bolt in.

good luck.
I've read many threads now. Can you guys point me to a specific one that is close to what I'm trying to achieve? I keep running into ones that people change the parts on the 3L. Thanks

fewest mods 3L to mod would be a 2001-2004 ford escape engine

you can buy a fuel rail adapter and custom LIM from Nautilus to make it a virtual bolt in but you may still have to change your valve covers and you will have to swap over your engine harness and will have to mod the block fit the alternator, but that would be the least mods you could get.

at a minimum you will have to remove or cut off the torque converter bushing you "may" be able to connect to the fuel rail on some 3L

to keep your intake you will have to port match the intake to the heads using bugzuki plates or using the Nautilus performance LIM.

otherwise buy an engine from 3Lduratec.com or pay someone to do it. it doesn't get any easier. taurus motors require more modding. you don't have to swap cams or heads or intakes but it just means you have to mod different things.

if you want a thread to make it easier keep searching maybe you will find one but I doubt it.

for info here is my thread on doing my 3L swap I was going to do a full 3L but I decided on doing a ported because I thought it was easier and I could keep my SVT intake. I kept the 04 cams and didn't change oil pans so I did the minimum for a ported 3L

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=37314&highlight=swap

I did a full 3.0L (04+) here are the following mods required

- 2.5L timing cover
- pulse wheel position swapped
- crankshaft bushing removal
- Nautillus fuel rail mod
- alternater tabs modified (2.5L alternater bracket)
- Passenger side motor mount modified
- COP on the motor to match wiring harness or use exsisting wiring and make coil pack work.
- throttle cable bracket
- a tune
- odds and ends like vac lines and intake piping

Out of all the three types of 3L swaps, what one would get the most power. i have a svt contour and was looking to swap to 3L??

Boy is that a loaded question. Let me grab some popcorn while I watch the fur fly.
Haha, no joke.

Hey guys, I know you're new and excited, but do everyone a favor and get comfortable with the SEARCH button. The questions you are asking have been asked a million times and have been answered very acurately in many threads. Just remember until you get the hang of the sight check the stickies and use search before posting.

Just saying this for your own good.

Out of all the three types of 3L swaps, what one would get the most power. i have a svt contour and was looking to swap to 3L??

the one you install properly is the one that gets the most power. seriously, go with whichever combo looks the most doable given what your resources.

Back