• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why Have Your Motors Blown Up?

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
I just read through random threads and some members signature say, 2nd, 3rd, or whatever number motor they are on now. I'm just curious, why have the other motors been pulled out? Blown up, knocking, details! hahaha

Steel shot blast stuck inside valve covers after blasting and powder coat. Installed them dirty thinking the junk would catch in the oil filter. WRONG! It didn't hurt the motor, it just made the oil pressure relief valve stick closed and I would start the car and the oil filter would blow off.

Had to pull the motor to change the pump, so I just went 3L. Cams, cylinders, and everything else had no scoring at all and looked great, just the oil pump took a crap.

scorn oil pump:
newpics134.jpg

newpics138.jpg

1st engine. 2.5L @ 165k
NXBOTTLESlogo-704974.jpg

2nd engine. ported 3L. at about 50k on the block. 15k miles after i put it in.

PuddleSmall.jpg

and this.

cold_air_intake.jpg

No pic, But the lower end in my 95's second engine locked up and two of the crank bearings BLEW into pieces. I'm sure there was way more damage too since the motor completely seized...

#1 2.5L Very high sustained RPM, a long sweeping righthander, 9psi, bad PCV valve. Those were all present, not sure what the death blow was.

#2 3.0L Stupid 18" puddle.

#3 Running strong!

2.5 judging by what I saw, previous owner didn't change the oil. Spun a bearing. Oil was very very low and thick with metal sparkles.

2.5 -> pulled to go 3 liter

first 3.0-> Oil filter relocation hose exploded and motor loss oil pressure. It never really died.... I just hated the split port garbage so much I convinced myself it was dead. The bearings were scored and there was a minor knock but it would probably have survived.

2nd 3 liter -> proper motor, low mile full oval port. Still running like a top when I sold it.

2.5 -> pulled to go 3 liter

first 3.0-> Oil filter relocation hose exploded and motor loss oil pressure. It never really died.... I just hated the split port garbage so much I convinced myself it was dead. The bearings were scored and there was a minor knock but it would probably have survived.

2nd 3 liter -> proper motor, low mile full oval port. Still running like a top when I sold it.

still running like a top when i put a clutch in it. its ALMOST as nice as mine :p

Back