• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hybird Swap?

Well regardless of what is posted over on FCO the hybrid 3L in my SVT has 70k on it. It was installed by SHO Shop (no longer around) in 2004. I don't have any oil pressure problems and drive it every day.:shrug:

yeah a properly built hybrid is a good setup. however i think using the "wrong" heads for the engine can cause them to be harder to tune as the dome shape in the head is slightly off for a 3L piston. i've heard of a few guys having issues with detonation while tuning, but that could easily be blamed on the tuner.

starjammir and warmonger seem to be the guys to talk to about hybrids (not to discredit any of the other good hybrids out there!)

yeah a properly built hybrid is a good setup. however i think using the "wrong" heads for the engine can cause them to be harder to tune as the dome shape in the head is slightly off for a 3L piston. i've heard of a few guys having issues with detonation while tuning, but that could easily be blamed on the tuner.

starjammir and warmonger seem to be the guys to talk to about hybrids (not to discredit any of the other good hybrids out there!)

Isn't Tony's a hybrid as well?

go to joey and tom at nautilus performance for a tune of your hybrid. I built my hybrid from the ground up with 3L valves on SE heads and can easily run with oval ports all day long. I am selling my car to Jon (RaptorSVT) and it should have a nice long life. no oiling issues and plenty of power. A hybrid is a great swap but I can say after doing many 3L swaps including my fully torn down hybrid I would do an oval port in any other car I do. They are easier and theoretically more reliable. If you want to raise your compression invest in some domed pistons. There is a lot of work to be done to really make a hybrid as efficient as a full 3L.

If you have the time and patience to really build the engine right you will have one sweet engine. without doing that you may as well do a full 3L. just some educated advice.

go to joey and tom at nautilus performance for a tune of your hybrid. I built my hybrid from the ground up with 3L valves on SE heads and can easily run with oval ports all day long. I am selling my car to Jon (RaptorSVT) and it should have a nice long life. no oiling issues and plenty of power. A hybrid is a great swap but I can say after doing many 3L swaps including my fully torn down hybrid I would do an oval port in any other car I do. They are easier and theoretically more reliable. If you want to raise your compression invest in some domed pistons. There is a lot of work to be done to really make a hybrid as efficient as a full 3L.

If you have the time and patience to really build the engine right you will have one sweet engine. without doing that you may as well do a full 3L. just some educated advice.

So do you recommend that I find a 3L block and put better internals in? Or will a low mileage shortblock be O.K. to run high compression?

Also, will I need a tune right from the start?

I'm thinking of now just dropping in a ported 3L. Just to keep cost down. I don't drop the clutch or race, so will my stock diff be ok?

Here are the plans:

1. Ported 3L, SVT cams, stock headers (non-gutted), no tune. What kind of HP/TQ numbers should I expect?

2. Ported 3L, 3L cams, stock headers (gutted), no tune. What numbers should I expect?

Will I need a tune or even premium fuel anymore? ( I currently run 93+ octane in my SVT 2.5)

For both of those setups, you'll probably be close to the 200 mark, if not a little over.

In my ported 3L w/3L cams, i run 89 all day and have no problems...

Back