• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L turbo final round

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
i dont wanna say am getting tired of svt tours yet. cuz i dont think i am. i like these cars. little will change that. however, my luck with these cars is unbelievable. i'm about to embark on my 3rd motor project. i know turbocharged cars have to be looked after always. but dang! this motor had only 30k miles. i've put 5-6k in the last year and a half. and yet, the car has developed a knock:nonono:. this is gonna be the thread i'll be updating as i carry on with this build. this is the last one i swear to GOD! if it pops again, i turn troll. i'm going to be doing this build myself with the help of others hopefully. i've ordered my new 3L. when it gets here, i'll post pix. wish me luck. Lord knows i'll need it:).

Do you have any details about your current setup that might have caused issues? How was the Tune? A/F ratio? Break in period? ect. ect.

Edit:
What about heat?
know its pretty hot in Vegas, perhaps that has something to do with it?

Dang man - I wish it was easier for you but the bad luck seems to be :troutslap:ing you in the face.....

do you have room for an accusump?

No offense but maybe its the builder

yeah because everyone out there except a select few are hacks right? there is merit to trying and learning btw ....

and in a way I am waiting for my 3L to go at some point. I had the same view point when I got the turbo kit and wasn't planning on going 3L until my 2.5L quit. Its a stock engine not made for boost, it isn't going to last forever. Is 6k miles to little? Yes I would say so but there are so many factors one isn't going to always be able to determine the outcome.

as pointed out maybe its the heat out in Vegas ... I know I was concerned and kept close watch on all my temps here in New England when it was 90 degrees out, and it was never an issue ...

Do you have any details about your current setup that might have caused issues? How was the Tune? A/F ratio? Break in period? ect. ect.

Edit:
What about heat?
know its pretty hot in Vegas, perhaps that has something to do with it?

its a split port. svt upper, joey's lower IM, tune and A/F is on point! was running like a champ all this time. i dunno what happened.

if oil pressure is the issue ... in the past members have removed the cabin air filter and placed the accusump there.

i've got a mechanical oil pressure guage. and i watch it and the other guages religiously.

No offense but maybe its the builder
Joey built his last engine. I dont think it was the builder.

and it wasnt the fault of the car the whole time. the last one popped because the rear blowback vent hose on top of the valvecovers came off while in boost. i didnt have an A/F guage then. its just my luck:cry:. thats my point really. i will try once more. thanx for the tips y'all:).

its a split port. svt upper, joey's lower IM, tune and A/F is on point! was running like a champ all this time. i dunno what happened.

i've got a mechanical oil pressure guage. and i watch it and the other guages religiously.

and it wasnt the fault of the car the whole time. the last one popped because the rear blowback vent hose on top of the valvecovers came off while in boost. i didnt have an A/F guage then. its just my luck:cry:. thats my point really. i will try once more. thanx for the tips y'all:).

It might be worth installing some clevite bearings on the new motor you go with so you can verify the bottom end is perfect before install. Look for a 04-05 3L as you've probably heard so you have the cooling passage upgrades. Avoid the Escape 3L's that have the waterpump pulley on the front exhaust cam (~06-07 motors) as the 2.5L valve covers can't be used. 3L covers are too tall so the 2.5L intakes won't fit without modifying the valve covers.

Are you running an air oil cooler? If not I would. Water/meth injection might be a good idea for you, that or JS Safegaurd. Cylinder head temp gauge is a good idea as well. 10:1 CR is extreme for a turbo app if you really want the engine to survive longer without building it I would look at getting some custom head gaskets made.

It might be worth installing some clevite bearings on the new motor you go with so you can verify the bottom end is perfect before install. Look for a 04-05 3L as you've probably heard so you have the cooling passage upgrades. Avoid the Escape 3L's that have the waterpump pulley on the front exhaust cam (~06-07 motors) as the 2.5L valve covers can't be used. 3L covers are too tall so the 2.5L intakes won't fit without modifying the valve covers.

sadly, i had clevite bearings for this last build. unfortunately, we had gone too far in the build b4 i remembered i had them. couldnt go back:troutslap:.

Lots of good info on here guys, thanks. I really want to go turbo soon
BUT
Ive also had horrible luck with my 3L ...NOT even turbo!
Ive been threw 2enignes, the 2.5 and a 3L taurus engine, a tranny, 2 clutches
a rad, rad fan, all sensors, ball joints wheel bearings and breaks... the car i find isnt that durable...but threw it all, Im so happy when it runs good, that i cannot part with it. haha.
and yes i do beat on the car....so its not totally the cars fault. :p

Lots of good info on here guys, thanks. I really want to go turbo soon
BUT
Ive also had horrible luck with my 3L ...NOT even turbo!
Ive been threw 2enignes, the 2.5 and a 3L taurus engine, a tranny, 2 clutches
a rad, rad fan, all sensors, ball joints wheel bearings and breaks... the car i find isnt that durable...but threw it all, Im so happy when it runs good, that i cannot part with it. haha.
and yes i do beat on the car....so its not totally the cars fault. :p

:laugh: its ok. we feel the same way about our cars. looking at ur list of problems, it does seem that almost all of it has to do with the way it was driven. lol.

Back