• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2007 escape motor??

marker1989

New CEG'er
Hey guys. I registered on this site years ago because I was looking into SVT contours. Well I never ended up getting one but recently my buddy picked one up with a blown motor so we are 3 liter swapping it together. We found a 2007 escape engine with 30k miles, I've searched and cant find an answer so my questions can we use it for the swap?? If so what all do we need for a full 3l other than a Taurus UIM and returnless fuel rail mod?
Thanks, Mark

wow I think you've stumped us. I'll take a stab at it. as long as its not a hybrid or has variable valve timing, you should be able to use it.
I may get destroyed by more senior CEGers here but, if there is anyone else please feel free to chime in.

There is lots of information on using earlier ones, from 2001 to 2005 or 2005. Many have chosen to use the Taurus engine instead of the Escape engine because they are plentiful and cost less.

I suggest you spend some time reading here in the 3L forum about what is needed for these engines to work.

IIRC, somewhere along the way, the the water pump drive moved to the other cam. I'm not sure what complications that creates though.

i've done some minor research. and do mean minor. i simply used Google and typed in the following search words "2007 escape specs duratec motor variable timing" it does not appear that it has variable timing. best bet to find out might be to go to a ford dealership to the parts department and they might know.

As far as the variable timing I know it doesnt have that. If the water pump is driven by the other cam then that shouldn't be a problem either

FYI when you search car-parts the 2005 - 2007 Escape 3L's are supposedly the same. I found a thread that mentioned the timing cover is different so you will need to use your old one. Other than the timing cover you should be good.

yea i looked up alot last night its my car if you didnt already figure that out. they didnt start the VVT till 2009 and i couldnt find anything different about the 07 motor.

Don't get an 05-07 Escape motor if you are going to do a ported 3L. Water pump is driven off of the front exhaust cam instead of the intake cam like previously. The heads are slightly different so you have to use the 3L valve covers (more bolt holes than the 2.5L heads) and they are too tall for the 2.5L intakes. You still need to swap your timing cover and engine mount onto the motor. You also need to swap the pulse wheel which you don't need to do on the earlier Escape motors. The rest seems to be pretty much the same.

yea we got mine today:) out of curiosity how much did you pay for yours? and mileagle?

amd will somebody tell me how to get the F'ing torque converter off my new motor i cant figure the out

Usually (for the last hundred years) the torque converter has been held on with bolts on the engine side of the flexplate.

I do not know if they figured out a new way of doing it but the bolts would be my guess.

Good luck

yea lol i was really tired i found it i had been driving al day didnt feel like doing much work, i just want it to magicly be running tomorrow.

Blackcoog is dead on with all that info. How did you get the motor mount on the 2007 motor BTW? Also, what should I do with the PCV valve? It hooked up to the EGR and we deleted that, so should I just delete the PCV system as well or just plug the EGR vaccum port?

Blackcoog is dead on with all that info. How did you get the motor mount on the 2007 motor BTW? Also, what should I do with the PCV valve? It hooked up to the EGR and we deleted that, so should I just delete the PCV system as well or just plug the EGR vaccum port?

You get the motor mount in the same way as you do with any other motor. Either remove a head to put it in or you need to cut the crap out of the mount and fish it in. Search for pictures or ask around.

If you are going with a full 3L normally people use the 3L PCV system. I've never used it so you'll need to ask the full 3L people. You need the PCV system so you can't delete it.

Don't get an 05-07 Escape motor if you are going to do a ported 3L. Water pump is driven off of the front exhaust cam instead of the intake cam like previously. The heads are slightly different so you have to use the 3L valve covers (more bolt holes than the 2.5L heads) and they are too tall for the 2.5L intakes. You still need to swap your timing cover and engine mount onto the motor. You also need to swap the pulse wheel which you don't need to do on the earlier Escape motors. The rest seems to be pretty much the same.
This is pretty much all correct except for two things if memory serves me correctly.
1) I'm about 99% sure that the revised heads did not make it to escape until the 2006, possibly 2006.5 model year. As stated above, they have a different number of valve cover bolt holes in different locations than used before. These newer heads are actually the same heads as used on all Ford 500 which are the same as Mazda6 (except that the M6 has a small VCT oil feed hole drilled in the front). Thus the necessity to use the newer rocker covers. Newer head will have a 3M4E casting number.
2) Pulsewheel can be reused. It is just in a different orientation because front cover used on 2007 Escape has the crank sensor on opposite side than before. Rule of thumb that I have stated many times below...

If it was me, I would try to get a 2005 3.0L Escape for the block casting improvements and better cams.

Rule of thumb for pulsewheel alignment which works for all Duratec 2.5/3.0L:
With crank keyway at 9 o'clock position, missing tooth in pulsewheel must point towards crank sensor hole in front cover being used.

Anyone have any pictures of the Mazda 6 valve covers so I can compare. I may use those valve covers if they are shorter and bolt up. Than I can port the motor and the install will be much less of a headache for this car.

Edit: Nevermind I found a picture. The covers may be shorter but I'll have to look again when I get home to be sure. The PCV port is more like the 2.5L port.

mazdaTBposition.jpg

Found this one too which I think is an 07 Mazda 6 3L motor. The one above must be earlier.

330220959_XFWED-M.jpg

Back