• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

longer 60-110 times?

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
am I the only guy with a full 3.0 and 4.06 final drive thats noticed it takes longer to get from 60 to 110 than it did with even the se 2.5?

I'm guessing this is because the full 3.0 falls on its face in the high rpm range. a better tune would probably help with that hopefully.

how much does the focus final drive help in this area? a lot I'd guess... it's pretty close to a mustang GT final drive...

:shrug:

I'm guessing this is because the full 3.0 falls on its face in the high rpm range.

Bingo. the cams arent meant for spinning the guts out of the motor. if you want to have high rpm power get svt cams. Not a hard concept lol.

yeah, changing the cams is a major project though isn't it? doesn't all of the timing gear have to change? or could it be as easy as pop off the valve covers and pull all the caps?

wouldn't the focus final drive and a good tune also have a similar effect on the climb to topspeed?

I like the easy to drive torque, just wish it pulled harder in fifth gear.

yeah, changing the cams is a major project though isn't it? doesn't all of the timing gear have to change? or could it be as easy as pop off the valve covers and pull all the caps?

wouldn't the focus final drive and a good tune also have a similar effect on the climb to topspeed?

I like the easy to drive torque, just wish it pulled harder in fifth gear.
way more than pulling the cams out lol.

I have had a full 3l and now my current ported, svt cammed 3l.

you did research each build style b4 you chose the one you wanted to go with right?

i cant honestly say i like one more than the other because my full 3l car was quite a bit more modified than the car i currently have. I will say my full 3l seemed to pull WAY harder than this car but it fell off right at about 5500 rpms. but if you want top end power your going to need some damn good tuning or a cam swap from what i have read

I have not seen any sheets from a dyno on what your car is actually doing. I can say with a bare-bones full '04 3L drop with a very good dyno tune-

stock SVT exhaust
gutted pre-cats
short cone air filter (hot intake temp)
SCT chip

You better be shifting at exactly 6k or before or your brain dead. The tune + the natural performance of the engine offers the most hp/tq just before 6k.

I generally pull out a parking lot in 2nd gear. I dont have a built trans yet, but my straight up 0mph 2nd gear pull is significantly harder than the combination of my original 2.5 SVT motor in 1st and 2nd its really a retarded conversation.

There is a reason so many 3L owners are looking for the lower FDR.

There is hardly ever a reason to go that fast. I'm sure every one of us has maxed our car out to see what it does, but that's it. :rolleyes:

There is hardly ever a reason to go that fast. I'm sure every one of us has maxed our car out to see what it does, but that's it. :rolleyes:

true. and thats the only time i've actually been at those speeds z. dont worry, am not that foolish:). i just cant stand the fact that u cant talk about anything that hints of going fast on an auto website. just want some to lighten up a little thats all.

What he said.
Why are you in 5th?

uh, because the engine sounds like its revving out at 90 in 4th.

For some reason my car came with a zetec dash, so no tach. I'm going by ear, I have a ridiculously big autometer tach that I'm trying to sell to pay for an svt dash.

60-110+ is a pretty common acceleration range for many tracks.

If 4th gear x engine torque at RPM's utilized with old engine is greater than 5th gear x torque at RPM with new engine than acceleration will be slower.

Otherwise your butt dyno is just off.

Back