• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

05 Escape engine in, oil cap touching underside of hood

Avenger

CEG'er
I don't like asking that kind of question but if there is one thing you can't search for, it's "oil cap"
laugh.gif

Found out last weekend that the damn thing hits the underside of the hood and prevents it from resting against the rubber stop. Am I the only one with that problem ? What is everyone doing ? Do I need a different valve cover that has a differently located oil cap or a shorter neck ?

Thanks for your help !

Which valve covers are you using? IIRC, the 3L (Escape) covers are too tall. I used the valve covers from my SVT and my oil cap sits just fine.

I'm using the Escape valve covers. I could use the SVT ones but I plan on going with coil on plug so I need to stick with a design that can support it.

Taurus maybe ? :shrug:

Hmmm, thanks for the picture. This looks suspiciously like mine. Do you know for a fact that they're different or just that the Taurus should work ? :shrug:

My 3L with Taurus valve covers hits the hood with the oil cap. It doesn't prevent the hood from closing, but I have a nice little set of scrapes and dings on the underside. I haven't noticed anything on the top side though. Because of the design with those valve covers you can't just replace it with your standard Autozone replacement cap, at least as far as I know. Have anyone found a cap that fits that style that is also shorter/smaller?

plastic 3L's barely fit. mine rubs in reverse, and thats with poly filled roll resistors.

the plastic covers do have the threaded spots for COP.

plastic 3L's barely fit. mine rubs in reverse, and thats with poly filled roll resistors.

the plastic covers do have the threaded spots for COP.

Are you talking about the UIM? Avenger is talking about the oil cap on the front valve cover. Does your UIM rub on the hood or are you saying that there is a difference in the valve cover design between the various 3L years?

No, using complete 05 Escape engine with 05 Taurus UIM and throttle body. It won't prevent the hood from closing but you can tell one side does not rest on the stop.

few things here, cool finding out the plastic valve covers will accept cop, I was worried about having to give up the plastic covers to go cop later, the aluminum ones are bumpy and heavy.

second, are you sure it's the oil cap hitting? I ask because my EVR hit's on the inside of the hood slightly (on the reinforments), and I remedied it with a hammer. just dont dent the hood skin.

third I thought a few people had actually used the escape uim before? just a pita?

also, today I saw an engine that had plastic covers and cop, but the vcovers said duratech 24v on them and stuff. I really liked those, anyone seen them before?

also, what is this about aftermarket oil caps not fitting? could swear I've seen a ton of them around here...

The 3L valve cover has a strange oil cap. Well, maybe it's not strange, but I don't think you can use an Autozone replacement cap. The cap only turns about 1/4 to 1/2, which, IIRC, is not the way other replacements fit. The 3L cap is actually two pieces, so I am sure it can be worked on.

KAOS, it is the oil cap. Hood closes fine if I remove it.

Anyway, I stopped by Advanced Auto Parts today to get a Stant Oil cap (was told this might fit) and they listed a replacement oil cap for that specific engine. It is threaded like the stock cap on the SVT but they said it would fit so I bought it even though I'm still not sure it will fit my application. Will report back this weekend.

TRicker, I might have to switch my aluminium valve covers for cheap looking plastic ones... kinda bugs me as I really liked the look.

You guys removed the under hood insulation to get additional clearance ?

My 04 3l oil cap hits and rubs against the hood. Even with the insultaion removed. But it makes it a lot eaiser to close the hood without the insulation.

I dont get you all being in love with those heavy hunks of aluminum. my 04 is getting the 02 valve covers.

if anybody wants to donate their "cheap looking plastic ones" I'll paint them silver and sell them on e-bay as "phase 1 street tuner weight reduction"....

Back