• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L cakle

giwill

New CEG'er
Im extremely new to this so bare with me. I finally got out today and flogged the crap out of my 3L swap to see If It would hold up. well it did great with no problems at all, except when I pressed the clutch pedal after a hard acceleration, the car would cakle, like an old ford pickup with glasspacks. The engine is a completly stock 05 except 4 the svt IM. Is this normal, or should I start looking 4 a problem?

hasnt been tuned,and yes its like a backfire out the exhaust, like the injectors are dumping more fuel than it can burn.

Normal operating condition for decel... especially if you're got a free-flowing exhaust without a resonator. As the computer relearns it's fuel strategy to accomodate your larger engine, the sound may mellow a bit.

I had a backfire on my full 3L. I think it was from a melted tube that touched the EGR pipe. It was a 1/4 vac. tube that ran to one of the ports in the firewall. Car ran great otherwise. Discovered it when I didn't want to take the car further and parted it out.

i get a real sexy sounding cackle after a WOT run and take it to redline then just push in the clutch. :) sidepipe FTW. it's done it for a long time, its just much louder(obviously) with the sidepipe.

Back