• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L years: which ones work?

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
i know i want a 03-04 because they have a cam driven water pump and the thicker top ring land.

but will an 05 engine work too? i'm not sure my heads are any good so i plan to use all components if possible.

i know i want a 03-04 because they have a cam driven water pump and the thicker top ring land.

but will an 05 engine work too? i'm not sure my heads are any good so i plan to use all components if possible.

01-03 are the same and will work. 04 and 05 are relatively the same and will work as well. They have a different PCV system and the valve covers are different. Some are aluminum and some are plastic. If you are using your 2.5L intakes you will stick with your stock PCV system. You'll need to install oil separator between the heads from your previous motor.

01-03 are the same and will work. 04 and 05 are relatively the same and will work as well. They have a different PCV system and the valve covers are different. Some are aluminum and some are plastic. If you are using your 2.5L intakes you will stick with your stock PCV system. You'll need to install oil separator between the heads from your previous motor.

I would still use the new PCV system, it wont be too hard to adapt it to the old manifold.

For the SVT's you can use the new PCV system but I guess those valve covers won't fit under the Cougar hood so you will have to use the old PCV system in the Cougars.

For the SVT's you can use the new PCV system but I guess those valve covers won't fit under the Cougar hood so you will have to use the old PCV system in the Cougars.

True, and to be honest.... They don't fully fit under the SVT hood either, some minor, VERY minor clearancing is necessary (it rubs the rib of the hood slightly)

You also need to find a way to mount the coil pack (thanks Livin!)
DSC02052.jpg

i'm running the 04 motor, but the one i bought has a melted spot on the UIM so i'm going to buy a new 05 taurus manifold. looks like i'll have to do that mod :) thanks for the pic

Back