• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

My options are chip it - that's it. That is the reason why I bought the SCT eliminator chip from that guy here.
I will get the lim, injectors, and fuel rail. Then I will send off my 4 chip eliminator to Nautalis.

If you put larger injectors in without getting a tune for them, the computer will have no way of knowing that you've put in larger injectors and it will be injecting fuel as if you've still got your 17lber's in there. You'll throw over-rich codes shortly after you pull the car out of your garage and you'll get probably 7-10 mpg if you actually drive it around that way.

Yeah, you should have seen what happened when I wasn't thinking and tried to run my 3L on its stock configuration with my 42# injectors. :crazy: It wouldn't go above a rough idle with puffs of smoke, because it was sooooo rich. Would the difference between 17# and 19# really make that big of a difference that the PCM couldn't learn to account for though?

Yeah, you should have seen what happened when I wasn't thinking and tried to run my 3L on its stock configuration with my 42# injectors. :crazy: It wouldn't go above a rough idle with puffs of smoke, because it was sooooo rich. Would the difference between 17# and 19# really make that big of a difference that the PCM couldn't learn to account for though?

yes. you will trip codes very quickly. i tried it.

also I ran my turbo on the stock tune with the 80mm maf and 42# injectors and it ran fine actually. the long term trims where pegged trying to pull fuel but it idled and reved ok.

Would the difference between 17# and 19# really make that big of a difference that the PCM couldn't learn to account for though?
Yeah it is. I originally put 19lber's in my hybrid while running the SE PCM thinking that it might be able to compensate. No dice. I pulled out of my stall in the shop, drove to the back of our big-ass parking lot, and didn't even make it to a WOT pull though the lot before I threw rich codes.

The problem is that all the computer's calculations use the injector size as a constant. So with larger injectors, it's injecting more fuel than it thinks it is, for any given pulse width. This gives it a richer-than-expected/desired reading from the O2's. It could possibly be countered with a larger MAF housing, but at that point, you're giving the PCM incorrect info... and that's just bad chi.

Damn, you guys are a plethera of information. So after I get my new bits to put in, I can't drive the car because it will not recognize what the heck I have done to it without my chips being burned. I will get to my 500 mile mark, change my fluids and set up the new LIM and injectors and send my chip out for burning. OR, I can send the chip now and just tell Nautalis that I am running the SVT LIM and 19# so it is burned and ready when I have the parts in...... ok

you can run the car but it will run even richer then it is now with 19# injectors. You will trip a cel from being to rich fairly quickly. and you don't want to do this for a long time.

I say the best plan is to run your break in and then swap everything over. go to the dyno and get some numbers with a/f and send it off to NPG so you can get your chip to get everything in order.

Last edited:
Ok - do I just need a regular dyno "pull" chart/graph or do I need an a/f pull w/ graph or a "dyno tune" for the info I have to send to Nautalis?

Ok - do I just need a regular dyno "pull" chart/graph or do I need an a/f pull w/ graph or a "dyno tune" for the info I have to send to Nautalis?

just a pull with a/f monitoring. so you need a print out of hp vs rpm, torque vs rpm and a/f vs rpm.

a dyno tune is what it sounds like. they will tune the car as it sits on the dyno.

basically you are looking for a baseline dyno so you know where you are at. normally you get three pulls at the places I have been to.

Yep, I found a place here to do 3 pulls for $75 - I will get a baseline from them. ;)

I didn't even know you could use SCT stuff for OBD 1. Everything is so different. You sure you can even use the stuff you bought?

I didn't even know you could use SCT stuff for OBD 1. Everything is so different. You sure you can even use the stuff you bought?

It is an SCT eliminator chip, not an SCT. Joey did say I could use it on my OBDI setup. Otherwise I don't know if I can use anything I bought. I just wanted to have them now so I wasn't paying out the nose later for something I missed that was for sale.

i was told by a sct tuner that a obd1 tour is on his list of cars that are able to be tuned,it uses the same style ecu as the rest of the tours. obv obd1 doesnt monitor everthing obd2 does so for datalogging it might be a bit different

i was told by a sct tuner that a obd1 tour is on his list of cars that are able to be tuned,it uses the same style ecu as the rest of the tours. obv obd1 doesnt monitor everthing obd2 does so for datalogging it might be a bit different

GIVE HIM MY NAME! He can practice on mine.....

That sounds like a good idea. Experiment on a car with a lot of time and money into it. Good thing we have a giant lake seperating us.:p

I just bought orange SVT injectors and I have a SVT LIM and fuel rail on its way.
I also fixed the power steering leak at the hex nut fitting. It was pretty easy and worked well.Check the trouble shooting forum if you need more info on that. Everything is installed now also, strut bar, front bumper, wheel well liners, grille, etc. I left those off for awhile to make sure I could get under the car if I was to have a leak or a fire.

I honestly couldn't be happier. I am getting probably 15 miles to the gallon because it running rich, but it drives well and is very reliable so far. I am at about 150 miles on the new setup.

LivinSVT is the man, and this trans he built feels rock solid. I couldn't have done it without you guys and you are making one of the few pre98s stay on the road. Thanks for look'n out :cool:.

Back