• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

i know you did all powdercoating, but why not paint the block and heads? It looks amazing, but then you see the stock aluminum poking out from behind all that shine. Did you consider it at all? any reason why you didn't?

Don't get me wrong, though, it does look awesome

If I had torn the motor down and removed the heads and replaced the crank bearings, I would have powder coat on everything. But because I didn't tear down that far and I couldn't and didn't want to carry my motor to the body shop and back for automotive paint, I opted not to paint it. You really can't see the block and heads at all when the motor is in the car so I didn't think it was worth the extra effort. I would have painted it high temp silver, and I even have the paint, but it would look OEM still but just cleaner.

joe,how did you get the shift rod disconnected from the tranny or from the shifter? i remember in my 96 i couldnt get them undone,so i had to drope the whole thing out the bottom,shift rods and shfiter still attached.:blackeye:

Out of all the things you have accomplished you couldn't disconnect the shift rod :confused:. :laugh: Take the small bolt out that holds the shift rod to the trans rod, shift the car into first via the shifter in the car. That will keep the trans rod away from the shift rod and it will just come apart........

I think yours looks really nice. I should have gone with better colors when I did mine, but had not descided on a theme yet. Now I have decided on Black Red and Silver, but already have some blue on the engine.

Good work so far.

:blackeye:hahaha,it was my first engine swap by myself. thanks,that tip will come in handy in the next few months.

UPDATE: I will be painting the engine bay and re-wrapping all wires with electrical tape this weekend. THEN finally the motor and trans can be mated up and dropped in. That might happen on monday.......

icon_rave.gif

^^^^ I love that, haha we need more smiles

Joe good luck with getting the motor in and running, i cant wait to see this car when its done!!!:cool:

:blush::redface:
I only do it for you guys - the cun-tour would have been long gone if it wasn't for this place, honestly - I also have a "special" BIG project that will/should be ready for SZ '09 that will be going with me to show off. All for you, thanks for breaking my wallets guys! :nonono:

I have to agree with BrApple, it's all worth it when you hit that gas pedal for the first time (and everytime after!) :laugh:

now blu, i dont' mean to pick on you, but i've done two three liter swaps in the time you did half of yours. looks like the powder coating is all done. put her in! are you scared it won't run? lol ;) you know i'm just kidding.

I don't just toss my stuff back together. Being painted, powder coated, getting a built trans, painting the engine bay, wrapping wires, etc... It is just a lot for me to soak in and deal with all at once. I get very little free time and when I do finally get some, someone wants something powdercoated....... It will be pretty far along by the end of monday....

PS, your 3Ls look like CRAP :laugh:! I only want to do this once and then get another 200K out of it.

I sure hope Pole is kidding :crazy: It is better to take your time to do things and get them done right the first time. Joe's car will be a show stopper when its done and will be piling up the trophies :cool:

I don't just toss my stuff back together. Being painted, powder coated, getting a built trans, painting the engine bay, wrapping wires, etc... It is just a lot for me to soak in and deal with all at once. I get very little free time and when I do finally get some, someone wants something powdercoated....... It will be pretty far along by the end of monday....

PS, your 3Ls look like CRAP :laugh:! I only want to do this once and then get another 200K out of it.

my 3L's look like crap? please!

oh and sorry, but my build wasnt just "slapped together"

i had help from two old timers to get a fuel system built, i have an aftermarket ignition (can you say wiring issues?) i had to relocate my coil pack, wait for parts to come in, i built my own transmission, and i also have a full time job, full time girlfriend, and no money. so i hope your not talking to me joe! ;)

P.S. KyleQ and joeM, please put pics of your 3L's up too. me and kyle pulled his, did his transmission, headers, clutch, flywheel. i totally tore joeM's motor down and redid it when he blew it up. and i'd say they are both nice looking swaps. just because i dont' powdercoat everything doesnt mean i make stuff look bad! factory paint ftw! lol

Back