• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

Got my sway bar end links by MOOG, they are awesome compared to stock:
3Lbuild031.jpg

3Lbuild032.jpg

Got a set of control arms from Rockauto and they are just like OEM and look great:
3Lbuild033.jpg

3Lbuild034.jpg

Got my used MSDS Y pipe too:
3Lbuild035.jpg

nice work joe!!! i'll be joining you in the pre98 midnight red SeVT club tomorrow:cool: can you get better pics of that eggplant color? i'll have some things i'll need pc'd that color if i like it.

nice work joe!!! i'll be joining you in the pre98 midnight red SeVT club tomorrow:cool: can you get better pics of that eggplant color? i'll have some things i'll need pc'd that color if i like it.

Sure, I can do that for ya! - I need a bright sun-shiny day though to get better pics.

I have 99% of everything powder coated and painted now. 3L assembly begins today. Here is the timing cover and oil pan powder coated:
3Lbuild052.jpg

3Lbuild053.jpg

Well, I am off to an OK start and I already broke something :nonono:

I thought using the 3L crossover tube gasket would be better than the 2.5L one even though it was a little taller. I was assuming it would smush outward enough to allow the flanges to meet the rear head with no problems.... WRONG! I snapped an ear off the powder coated cross over tube. I am hoping to find one from someone soon:

On left is 2.5L gasket and on right is 3L gasket:
3Lbuild073.jpg

3Lbuild071.jpg

Is there a reason why I shouldn't use the 3L water pump vs the 2.5L one? I looked inside and both have the white plastic impeller. Everything is the same and I can mount the 2.5L tensioner pully onto the 3L pump like shown in the pic to the right.
3Lbuild070.jpg

I love this book:
3Lbuild069.jpg

Did a little cutting today also and removed the crap I didn't need:
3Lbuild068.jpg

2.5L pulse wheel installed:
3Lbuild062.jpg

nothing special:
3Lbuild065.jpg

Nice! Let me know if you break anything else. May have some bits left from the 96 you might need. :cool:

thats interesting the cross over tube broke. we use teh 3L gasket on my build with some waterpump sealant without issue. I know the bolts will snap easily if they are over tightened.

also use the 04 waterpump as the water passage ways are larger then teh 2.5L.

The TQ rating was like 74 in/lb-100ish in/lb
I didn't even hit 74 yet..... oh well
I got one from pole

thats interesting the cross over tube broke. we use teh 3L gasket on my build with some waterpump sealant without issue. I know the bolts will snap easily if they are over tightened.

also use the 04 waterpump as the water passage ways are larger then teh 2.5L.

I did the same thing(broke the crossover tube) onthe last build I helped Greg with. I don't remember what year the 3L was but apparently they X-tube is different, cause the o-ring seal has a metal core to it.

Make sure you put that pulse wheel on right!

I did the same thing(broke the crossover tube) onthe last build I helped Greg with. I don't remember what year the 3L was but apparently they X-tube is different, cause the o-ring seal has a metal core to it.

Make sure you put that pulse wheel on right!

interesting on the gasket. the one greg found didn't have a metal core.

also you can't put the 95 pulse where on wrong, there is only one keyway.

although the first pic is confusing since it it the newer timing gear as if came on the 3L.

I do have the 2.5L pulse wheel in. I am glad to have such great teachers here :).

The problem with the cross over tube was that the o-ring maxed out and I still had 1/32" left until the flange would meet the head which created a pivot point and "snap" she went. Now I have more powder coating to do.

I think the 3L o-ring on the '05 motor I have does have a metal core. I will cut it open to check and hopefully someone can learn from my mistake.

Tranny is getting yellow!

Tranny is getting yellow!

Oh, I am really happy now. One of the last big things to get painted before putting it all back together.... I wanted to powder coat the DMD but I can't because of the rubber dampner in the pully. So off to wet spray it went :) 6 coats of yellow on the trans because it is a little transparent, so we had to do that to get good coverage.
DMD and Trans:
transpainted001.jpg

transpainted004.jpg

transpainted002.jpg

Back