• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

Joe, are you using that little compressor you have for this? I didn't think it would support die grinder, but if it does then good news for me and i can port/sell my 3L heads.

Actually no, my neighbor RON (40+) has a rolling compressor with a big tank. He is letting me borrow that and his engine hoist. My other friend Keith (40+) is letting me borrow the engine stand and the porting bits.....

It is good to know "old" folks! :laugh: They have crap laying around that they don't use much anymore.

I ported 1 side already.
All three of those ports, burr'd out and polished in about 1.5 hrs.
My porting is going way faster than most porting jobs I have read about. I have heard that it was supposed to take 6 hrs for all ports for your first time. I have used a die grinder once before :crazy:

I ported 1 side already.
All three of those ports, burr'd out and polished in about 1.5 hrs.
My porting is going way faster than most porting jobs I have read about. I have heard that it was supposed to take 6 hrs for all ports for your first time. I have used a die grinder once before :crazy:

6 hours :confused: with a dremmel :laugh::laugh::laugh:

6 hours :confused: with a dremmel :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can't imagine doing this with a dremel. That would be horrible and I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it that way, EVER!
You would spend more time fixing and polishing what you hacked up with those tiny bits.....

Who do I get in contact with to get one of those plates?

Do people often sell them once they are done with them in the for sale section?

You don't just use these as gaskets, but with the OEM gaskets. You must use both.
Bugzuki is the screen name of the person who makes the plates.

I should prolly pick up a set of those incase he stops making down the road after my 2.5 is gone

No, you can only use them once because you use them for gaskets.

http://www.hybridaction.com/Store/Contour.htm

You don't just use these as gaskets, but with the OEM gaskets. You must use both.
Bugzuki is the screen name of the person who makes the plates.

that is correct. the plates are used as a guide to port the heads and then they are used to cover up the 3L injector port. the stock gasket is used on top of the plates to seal everything up.

I finished the porting today.
Grand total porting and semi-polished 3 hrs. Pretty easy to do for beginners IMO.
One tip I havn't read yet is to take a new razor blade and run it along the flat machined surface of the intake inlets to remove the "lip" the porting created on each port. I took a pic showing what I mean, just in case someone doesn't understand ;). This will ensure that the bugzukie plates you use will sit flat and not create a air leak.
3Lbuild026.jpg

3Lbuild022.jpg

3Lbuild024.jpg

3Lbuild025.jpg

I also got a chance to powder coat my many brackets, crossover tubes, etc.. They are not all done yet, but most are :)
Say hello to my "eggplant" powder coated parts thus far. They might look black, but I assure you they are almost an exact match to midnight red but without any flake.

3Lbuild027.jpg

Nice job man...

I haven't encountered the "lip" on the plates that you are describing... But I'll keep an eye out for it in the future. I guess I don't see that because i try my hardest not to hit the Bugzuki plates with the Porting bit...

As much as I tried I would nick those plates a little while using the burr bit :)
The sanding stone I was using combined with riding the edge of the bugzuki plates probably caused that lip to form, like you said.
Thanks for the comments.

Be careful when cleaning the shavings out of the runners. Some of those valves are going to be open and you REALLY don't want any of that sh*t in your cylinders. You should have done it one cylinder at a time, keeping the valves closed... the cleaning up would have been MUCH easier. That IS a nice porting job though... especially for your first time. *thumbup*

when you stuff the pors with paper towel and line then with grease, as previously stated the risk is less. vacuum and clean them out first before pulling the paper towel and it isn't much of an issue

As you can tell by the pictures, I still have the rags stuffed in as far as they go, and have the grease in there yet. I will probably turn the motor upsidedown tonight and remove that stuff from the ports and cover them again to keep out debris.
I am very certain that nothing has gotten in there yet. I havn't opened the motor either, so hopefully there is no sludge in the oil pan or anything wierd.

I also had all ports taped over with duct tape while I was porting one, so no shavings from one got into any other. I was overly cautious when doing this, because I will not do this again.

That's what she said.

Man, that's what I was gonna say :nonono:
I only used the 1 burr bit shown in the die grinder and 1 sanding/polishing cone shaped bit. I will show pics of that too later..... Easy peazy lemon squeezy

Back