• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

Damn is that trans. for Big Bird?

No it is for a "big turd" - a purple one to be exact. :D

I hope to never ever pull this trans out of the car again so I am not too worried about getting into it :).

It will all look wonderful together.

I am not a fan of that yellow, but it does make sense with the purple and yellow scheme. The build is coming together nicely.

I figured go yellow because I want to see if there are fluid leaks, so black was not an option and I didn't want it any gray color because it wouldn't have the "pop" I wanted and would look too OEMish. White would look bad and yellow goes with purple...... You won't see much of the trans anyway, but I will :drool:

I think it looks great. Bet you can't wait to get a bigger oven so you can actually bake them puppies. I've got a spare case that I'd like to PC myself.

joe,i havent read all the pages in this thread,did you cover how you plan on overcoming the differences in the wiring harness/sensors? i'm picking up my 95 in a hour or so,and i'm planning either a svt or 3l engine swap this fall.

joe,i havent read all the pages in this thread,did you cover how you plan on overcoming the differences in the wiring harness/sensors? i'm picking up my 95 in a hour or so,and i'm planning either a svt or 3l engine swap this fall.

you swap all the 95 harnesses and sensors over to the 3L ...

Only difference is the lower O2's. Just need plugs in the exhaust. Not sure how he plans to tune it. Probably be ok without tuning though.

Only difference is the lower O2's. Just need plugs in the exhaust. Not sure how he plans to tune it. Probably be ok without tuning though.

should be fine without a tune for alittle. then a chip can be used for the tune. also some 19# injectors should be sourced and fitted althought the 3L will run on 17# injectors.

Yep, no lower o2s. My MSDS headers only have one port each for o2s as they are made for my '95 and my MSDS Y pipe I had the bung welded shut because I don't need it and the threads were stripped out anyway.
I am just using all the '95 harness, sensors, and 17# injectors.
It really doesn't seem to be an issue yet swapping into a '95, but we'll see when I try to turn over the key :eek:!

It really doesn't seem to be an issue yet swapping into a '95, but we'll see when I try to turn over the key :eek:!

it will be fine. I have seen a hybrid run on the stock SE PCM code with 17# injectors. but of course the SVT PCM and injectors didn't hurt things either.

I think it was rkneeshaw that upgraded his 96 to 19# injectors. I would think that you could swap the fuel rail without any problems, and wire in the correct harness pigtails for the injectors and then get a tune via a chip to make it run right and trip a cel.

my issues is the injectors,and this car never had the wire harness recall/upgrade. so its brittle as hell.

my issues is the injectors,and this car never had the wire harness recall/upgrade. so its brittle as hell.

Mine got the harness recall at 107,000 miles luckily like 7 years ago. Like everyone says, go to a junk yard to see if any have the recall harness' you need. Mine still looks new but I will be re-wrapping all harness' to "freshen" things up.

I got the motor to about 99% this weekend. Everything painted, powder coated, and mounted :D - I just don't know if I want to show anyone just yet.

The motor is ready to be taken off the stand so I can install the flywheel, clutch, pp, TOB, starter, etc.. I think I will post pics when the trans is bolted on and it is all hanging in the air.

I still have to run my new ebrake cables, put on my big brake kits, paint the engine bay, re-wrap all wire harness' to clean it up, install the new drier and ac compressor, and install my sending unit for my oil pressure gauge. :crazy: BUT it feels good to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I should be all done by the end of september.

man.... you don't mind downtime. my second 3L swap started on thursday and will be done by this thursday..... and that includes a lot of modifications to make the 2005 3L manifold work! ;) can't wait to see how purdy it is though.

man.... you don't mind downtime. my second 3L swap started on thursday and will be done by this thursday..... and that includes a lot of modifications to make the 2005 3L manifold work! ;) can't wait to see how purdy it is though.

The contour is my extra car so I don't need to rush and I have plenty of other things to do, IE: house remodel, other 2 cars, powder coating, wedding(now finally over), etc....
I don't have the time that others have, but it is getting done fast enough and will be going faster now.

i hear ya. i'm short on time and money but i make it happen... lol. thank god i have a cool girlfriend that lets me use her car and doesnt mind me getting greasy and ignoring her while i work on it. i wish i had a little more time to get plastic valve covers and such, but it's all good :) where's them pics?

Back