• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

09 escape engine?

steelblueSE

Hard-core CEG'er
I was flipping through Car and Driver and saw that there is a 30hp bump in the 09 Escape's power output. It's still the 3.0 and no mention of variable valve timing. I think they mentioned freer flowing heads and intake. I wonder if you could use these parts with the rest of the 3L stuff when doing the upgrade.

i'll look it up. The general 3L swap would be a force to reckon with, with the addition of 20 or so hp. But for the f.i guys, its just more hp that can't be put to the ground. pity. :nonono:

the jag s type is awd and there like 12 grand used
surely a wrecked one isnt too bad
same plat form as the contour if im not mistaken....

blackcoog had the trans and xfer case from the jag. said it could possibly work but i do think he sold the stuff. i think you would have to be an automatic trans if you got the AWD jag stuff unless they made one in a manual.

blackcoog had the trans and xfer case from the jag. said it could possibly work but i do think he sold the stuff. i think you would have to be an automatic trans if you got the AWD jag stuff unless they made one in a manual.

You can get a jaguar x-type in several variations, but all with all-wheel-drive

2.5L with a 5speed auto or 5speed manual
3.0L with a 5 speed auto or 5speed manual

X-types are built on the euro mondeo platform, so i would think its somewhat possible to do the swap, with a LOT of $ and a LOT of patience...

Just to clarify the S-type was rear wheel drive only. The X-type was all wheel drive only.

The X-type was offered in a manual but they were pretty rare. I did pick up the AWD system from an X-type a few years ago but I sold it recently to some CEGer. I've been happy with the amount of traction my current supercharger setup gives me. Also an AWD setup would have required a significant amount of cutting and fab work in the rear end of the car. I didn't think it would be beneficial enough to try it. You might as well by an X-type and mod that. It would be much easier and used X-types are cheap now.

The '09 bump in power for the 3.0L is from an all-new top end. The heads are new, and the entire intake manifold setup is new as well. It would all probably work on an earlier 3.0L block, but you'd have to swap EVERYTHING over, (not sure what timing cover would be used though) and still figure out the wiring to drive the COP (not that hard) and the VVT (a little harder). It is NOT direct injection though.

The '09 bump in power for the 3.0L is from an all-new top end. The heads are new, and the entire intake manifold setup is new as well. It would all probably work on an earlier 3.0L block, but you'd have to swap EVERYTHING over, (not sure what timing cover would be used though) and still figure out the wiring to drive the COP (not that hard) and the VVT (a little harder). It is NOT direct injection though.
Power Improved stuff eh? I like when Ford does PI on existing parts.
They quote I found and posted a little while ago mentioned new fuel injection system which I took to mean DI. Would be easier to use parts if you're right.
When will the '09s be out?
-J

Same as usual most likely; mid-to-late 08' calendar year.

The "Eco-boost" engines are the ones advertised as DI; but those are a little further away.

I'm of the impression that the Jag was built off the same series as the Contour, with the Mondeo getting an update after that.

One big significant thing though is that the Jag accommodates all wheel drive, and the Contour does not without extensive floor pan modification.

What I was really trying to call out is that the Contour is related more to the X-type than to the S-type.

The Jag X-type is basically a reskin of the 3rd gen Mondeo. The contour is related to the 1st and 2nd gen Mondeos.
All 3 generations of Mondeos have had AWD versions in Europe.
S-type shares a platform with the Lincoln LS.

The Jag X-type is basically a reskin of the 3rd gen Mondeo. The contour is related to the 1st and 2nd gen Mondeos.
All 3 generations of Mondeos have had AWD versions in Europe.
S-type shares a platform with the Lincoln LS.

I thought the X-Type was a based on a shortened version of the 3rd gen mondeo platform? And for whatever reason, is way crappier than the mondeo as displayed by that top gear video where they compare the two, along with a few other cars.

I swear I read that somewhere but I can't find anything now that supports my "shortened version" statement.

Last edited:
Back