• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need help with throttle body

Raywagner132

CEG'er
I been installing the 3.0 into my cougar and now I'm to the point where I need to install the throttle body linkage. I currently have a engine from a 2004 Taurus 3.0, and I have the throttle body that came up. Anyway, I am trying to figure out if my linkage can even wok with this because mine looks different. Now I read something about the 2.5's where atx and mtx throttle bodies aren't Interchangeable which begs the question..if all Taurus are automatics, then van a mtx linkage be retrofitted?

There's some write-ups in the archives on just how to do what you want. As I recall it centers around making a hybrid linkage with the SVT and 3L linkage and shaft. Look in the 3L section in the 02+ archives.

(Untitled)

Okay, I will take a look. I never know where to find stuff in there lol

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

There's some write-ups in the archives on just how to do what you want. As I recall it centers around making a hybrid linkage with the SVT and 3L linkage and shaft. Look in the 3L section in the 02+ archives.

Okay, so I looked through about 50 pages on the archives, in duratec performance. I looked at every post that had throttle body or TB in the title, and most of what I am seeing doesn't seem to relate because the svt linkage is different than the mtx cougar linkage. With that being said, I know the svt linkage is the same as the atx cougar. Now, does this mean I can get an svt or atx cougar, or even a Taurus's linkage and swap it in? I'm confused as to what to do. I'd like to keep the Taurus's throttle body so that i can use the 3l pcv system and not have to swap out valve covers

I did some more research today on the archives, and I'm still kind of mixed up about this issue. I;ve never optimized a throttlebody (which im assuming optimized is the term people use when they are transferring linkage and stuff over to a different throttle body) but is it possible to transfer the two springs from the cougar mtx style TB to the 3.0? Also, are the two ports on the 3.0 TB for PCV/oil seperator or are they for coolant? I feel like people are saying for coolant, but my research seems to lead me to think differently. anyways, if it is for coolant, then hypothetically I could just put my cougar throttle body on the 3L?

Ray; there is another option.... you can use the 65mm TB from a 4.6L Mustang (95-99 I think) or from a Crown Vic. Not sure what the vacuum pipework is like but it does pep up your acceleration .... so could be worth the 'candlestick'.Even if you decide to keep SVT, the threads below should help.

Optimizing means doing anything to increase airflow ....from cutting screws flush,to reprofililing the internal bore to enlarge and smooth out steps etc.

I've never swapped the butterfly shaft over but you need to be careful of the Throttle Position Sensor ... it is fragile and can be easily broken .... something to look out for when gathering tips and hints.....G.

Try this main thread http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/engi...63-optimize-tb

this sub thread has the pictures http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/engi...how-to?t=50471

don't mind the *****in' .... it's what passed as excitement back then lol

TPS instal. http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/how...position-sensor-tps-installation-part-numbers

No Title

Those are coolant lines. You are better off using the 3l tb due to the iac running through a seperate port. Use your tb bracket.

Attachments

• photo17176.jpg
    photo17176.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo17177.jpg
    photo17177.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 3
Those are coolant lines. You are better off using the 3l tb due to the iac running through a seperate port. Use your tb bracket.

So I can use the 3l throttle body bracket, but with the cougar bracket? I never really looked but does the bracket solve the cable issue - where it didn't connect before, or do I have to change something with the linkage? I admit to being a noob with this stuff lol

Ray; there is another option.... you can use the 65mm TB from a 4.6L Mustang (95-99 I think) or from a Crown Vic. Not sure what the vacuum pipework is like but it does pep up your acceleration .... so could be worth the 'candlestick'.Even if you decide to keep SVT, the threads below should help.

Optimizing means doing anything to increase airflow ....from cutting screws flush,to reprofililing the internal bore to enlarge and smooth out steps etc.

I've never swapped the butterfly shaft over but you need to be careful of the Throttle Position Sensor ... it is fragile and can be easily broken .... something to look out for when gathering tips and hints.....G.

this sub thread has the pictures http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/engi...how-to?t=50471

TPS instal. http://contour.org/ceg-vb/forum/how...position-sensor-tps-installation-part-numbers

That's an interesting write up for the 65mm throttle body, but they keep mentioning that it's for an svt. I may be mistaken, but I heard someone mention on that a non-svt contour would not work with the 65mm because of the linkage differences. So, I'm reading in-between the lines here, but I believe the mtx cougar has the same linkage as the non-svt contour. Hopefully, I'm not frustrating anyone here but I feel like I'm missing something that is going unsaid. Thanks for your reply btw:)

Thanks for the post. The 65mm mustang TB seems intriguing but I don't think I can use it with the cougars mtx linkage

How about this for a solution.  I have an svt throttle cable and bracket which is trimmed for that exact setup. Hell I can throw in my 04 3l tb which is pinned to work with the svt throttle cable. 

How about this for a solution.  I have an svt throttle cable and bracket which is trimmed for that exact setup. Hell I can throw in my 04 3l tb which is pinned to work with the svt throttle cable. 

What is the number and hashtag deal you said after the first sentence?
Do I have to have the svt throttle cable? If so, I already have an 04 Taurus throttle body. So I'm guessing all I need is the cable and trimmed svt bracket? Or is the pinning that you were referring to in regards to the 04 3l bracket something that you modified?

Not sure why the hashtags popped in there. You can insert pins into tb lever to take up the cable slack. Got a pic of your cable end? I've got a picture somewhere with the location on the pins.

Thanks for the post. The 65mm mustang TB seems intriguing but I don't think I can use it with the cougars mtx linkage

I realize you are looking for the easiest solution... maybe you can change to the Mustang TB at a later date when the car is running.. You can make anything work ...but normally requires a bracket to be made up to suit. Changing cable ends is easy ... they solder on and off.

I've just fitted an ST220 TB to a car and had to make up a bracket from two stock items because the cruise and throttle were the opposite sides to the bracket.on the car..

It has two springs like your one and I find it is suited best if you commute in slow traffic because it is easier to moderate your low speed. The single spring type TB's are best for flat out performance. .. you only have to lean on the pedal and your speed creeps up..

I can't say if putting the twin spring mechanism in the single spring TB body is straight forward ... I'd need the items in my hand, stripped down.

We all understand what it is like throwing yourself in at the deep end .....ask as many newb questions as necessary... G.

Thanks for all your guys' help. Gorman, you are probably right about me waiting to optimize a throttle body, and the mustang one sounds intriguing but kind of like you eluded to, I'm just looking for the easiest option right now because I'm already so much money in. I basically replaced every single part on this car.

Anyways, my brother and I went to the junkyard today and pulled an accelerator cable and speed cable from a Taurus that has the same 3.0 throttle body that I have. It looks like all the cable ends are the same and it should be an easy swap and it only costed 15 bucks. This way I don't have to do any modifying and I don't have to worry about the IAC issue.

I still need to figure out the vacuum for the intake though. Does anyone have any diagrams, and what do you guys think about me using the 3l throttle body with the Taurus linkage?

result !! .... if you post up which year the vehicle was you took the parts from and as much detail as poss. ....others will be able to follow in your footsteps

pictures help too

When you say vacuum, do you mean brake booster ? Which intakes are you using, SVT 3L , plastic, aluminium ?

There is a diagram of the vacuum system on the forum ... not sure where... but I know I've seen it..... G.

result !! .... if you post up which year the vehicle was you took the parts from and as much detail as poss. ....others will be able to follow in your footsteps

pictures help too

When you say vacuum, do you mean brake booster ? Which intakes are you using, SVT 3L , plastic, aluminium ?

There is a diagram of the vacuum system on the forum ... not sure where... but I know I've seen it..... G.

I have a 2004 Taurus motor, I got it as an assembly, but to answer your question I have the plastic 3l intake, 3l throttle body, and i just took the cables out of an 03 Taurus. My assumption is that any of the linkages from when they started doing oval port fuel injection would work. The older ones with the aluminum intake looked like they had different linkage. I got some pictures of the old and new cables. I pulled the new accelerator cable through the firewall and put it on the pedal - it's a slightly different design but it pulls through. I may buy a washer or something else just to make sure it doesn't pull off the pedal but other than that it definitely is long enough and has the right ends for the throttle body.

When I said vacuum I was referring to the vacuum for everything like the booster, AC, heater core, pcv, and etc. Btw I figured out my issue with the pcv. Apparentlyi changed the valve covers to the 2003 Taurus ones, and didn't know that the 2003 Taurus had its pcv coming off the oil separator whereas the 2004 had it in the rear valve cover and since the 2004 doesn't have a oil separator, I had no pcv. So my solution was to put the 2004 valve covers back on.

Attachments

• IMG_20160912_052747.jpg
    IMG_20160912_052747.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20160912_052742.jpg
    IMG_20160912_052742.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20160912_052734.jpg
    IMG_20160912_052734.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20160912_052714.jpg
    IMG_20160912_052714.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
.... when you said the cable ends were different, I didn't realize there was so much plastic moulding that went with that !!

I saw some threads that had pictures of the back of the 3L intakes and the guys were talking about the vac hoses..... looks like you figured it out for yourself

Look forward to some shots of you out enjoying the 3L cougar experience.... everyone says it's the motor it should have had in the first place .....G.

.... when you said the cable ends were different, I didn't realize there was so much plastic moulding that went with that !!

I saw some threads that had pictures of the back of the 3L intakes and the guys were talking about the vac hoses..... looks like you figured it out for yourself

Look forward to some shots of you out enjoying the 3L cougar experience.... everyone says it's the motor it should have had in the first place .....G.

Yeah, actually the ends aren't different on the accelerator cable, I just had it in backwards lol. I turned it around and put the ends in place. The only difference is the accelerator side of the cable has a plastic piece on top of the cable end but it looks to snap in place. The speed cable is kind of short though, doesn't really reach the module do I may have to move the module or just solder in the longer end so it reaches. I never soldered cables though so idk if it's any different than copper or whatever.

I'm still looking at the vacuum stuff..can't figure out the heater core because there is two pipes for hoses and I know one goes to the water pump but can't figure out the other one. Also idk which one is the one that goes to the water pump. On rock auto it says one goes to the intake, so I'm guess it's some sort of vacuum line?

And yeah man I can't wait to get this going. I like e the car but I've spent too much time and money on it to not feel pressured to get it done

Back