• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Svt valvetrain questions

Raywagner132

CEG'er
Hello, so I have my 2.5 heads at a machine shop to put 3.0 valves in them, and after the guy put the valves in he discovered that the valve springs that I have are only 60 pounds on seat load and he would like to see 75-80 pounds of seat load. So my question is what are the specs for the svt contour springs? I'm wondering if mine are just worn, or if I need to find aftermarket springs somewhere

You might have to use a 3.0 seat load spring. The 2.5 liter if I'm correct has the 60 pound seat load springs. It may not sound much of a difference, but the extra strength spring can help with overall drivability since the combustion chamber volume is slightly larger on the 3 liter.

You might have to use a 3.0 seat load spring. The 2.5 liter if I'm correct has the 60 pound seat load springs. It may not sound much of a difference, but the extra strength spring can help with overall drivability since the combustion chamber volume is slightly larger on the 3 liter.
Oh, I was under the assumption that the 3.0 had the same ratings, but your insinuating that the 3.0 springs are rated higher? Well in that case I may have to order them from rockauto or something. Thanks :)

(Untitled)

If I'm not mistaken i think the 3L valve springs are indeed either the exact same or highly similar to the st220 valve springs.
Good luck with your build

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken i think the 3L valve springs are indeed either the exact same or highly similar to the st220 valve springs.
Good luck with your build

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Thank you. I did some digging and found the part number for the st220 on here, along with the sealed power equivalent. However, I've done numerous google searches and I only found two places with the st220's and I've yet to find the sealed power ones. Also, I know the ford part has a new part number now, so I'm wondering if the new ones are better or worse.

You wouldn't happen to know the part number for the svt radiators do you? Thanks :)

so I ordered new valve springs from npg. they costed $499 - jeepers! but apparently these are leaps and bounds better than the st220. I can't beleive I'm putting this much money into a hybrid, but I hope it's worth it. The guy at npg said the hybrids actually are pretty good because of the high compression and split port intake, and since I'm using the 2001 cougar heads, 3.0 valves, with svt cams that these heads should be great for a long time. However, now im thinking that i may end up selling this other 2004 taurus engine that i have

do you mean like a part number to purchase a new svt radiator? I dont think there are any "SVT specific radiators for the aftermarket anymore. your going to haft to find someone that is parting an svt out or either has a spare.

do you mean like a part number to purchase a new svt radiator? I dont think there are any "SVT specific radiators for the aftermarket anymore. your going to haft to find someone that is parting an svt out or either has a spare.
I was hoping to get the ford part number for the svt radiator that way i can find a used one easier. I'm sure they are on ebay and such, but just typing in svt radiator in the search gives so many results and most of the results arent even svt radiators. Ideally I could find someone parting out a svt contour, but I never see them on craigslist or anything here

There was never an aftermarket SVT radiator equivalent unfortunately. Your best bet is to send an SVT radiator to Griffen or Fluidyne and they will build you an all aluminum spec'd equivalent. Start up cost is a little high at ~$400.

thanks Ray;

are you expecting accelerated wear on the cam's and did you discuss this when you bought the springs ? ie changing follower style ...G.

thanks Ray;

are you expecting accelerated wear on the cam's and did you discuss this when you bought the springs ? ie changing follower style ...G.

I'm not really expecting much - it was just a situation where my guys that's working on the heads recommended springs with 70-75 lbs of seat pressure and my cougar ones, and the 3.0 ones (including the st200) didn't come close, and these were the only ones better that I could find.

Back