Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Svt valvetrain questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Svt valvetrain questions

    Hello, so I have my 2.5 heads at a machine shop to put 3.0 valves in them, and after the guy put the valves in he discovered that the valve springs that I have are only 60 pounds on seat load and he would like to see 75-80 pounds of seat load. So my question is what are the specs for the svt contour springs? I'm wondering if mine are just worn, or if I need to find aftermarket springs somewhere

  • #2
    You might have to use a 3.0 seat load spring. The 2.5 liter if I'm correct has the 60 pound seat load springs. It may not sound much of a difference, but the extra strength spring can help with overall drivability since the combustion chamber volume is slightly larger on the 3 liter.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cclngthr View Post
      You might have to use a 3.0 seat load spring. The 2.5 liter if I'm correct has the 60 pound seat load springs. It may not sound much of a difference, but the extra strength spring can help with overall drivability since the combustion chamber volume is slightly larger on the 3 liter.
      Oh, I was under the assumption that the 3.0 had the same ratings, but your insinuating that the 3.0 springs are rated higher? Well in that case I may have to order them from rockauto or something. Thanks :)

      Comment


      • #4
        If I'm not mistaken i think the 3L valve springs are indeed either the exact same or highly similar to the st220 valve springs.
        Good luck with your build

        Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

        Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by montrese04 View Post
          If I'm not mistaken i think the 3L valve springs are indeed either the exact same or highly similar to the st220 valve springs.
          Good luck with your build

          Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
          Thank you. I did some digging and found the part number for the st220 on here, along with the sealed power equivalent. However, I've done numerous google searches and I only found two places with the st220's and I've yet to find the sealed power ones. Also, I know the ford part has a new part number now, so I'm wondering if the new ones are better or worse.

          You wouldn't happen to know the part number for the svt radiators do you? Thanks :)

          Comment


          • #6
            so I ordered new valve springs from npg. they costed $499 - jeepers! but apparently these are leaps and bounds better than the st220. I can't beleive I'm putting this much money into a hybrid, but I hope it's worth it. The guy at npg said the hybrids actually are pretty good because of the high compression and split port intake, and since I'm using the 2001 cougar heads, 3.0 valves, with svt cams that these heads should be great for a long time. However, now im thinking that i may end up selling this other 2004 taurus engine that i have

            Comment


            • #7
              do you mean like a part number to purchase a new svt radiator? I dont think there are any "SVT specific radiators for the aftermarket anymore. your going to haft to find someone that is parting an svt out or either has a spare.
              Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by montrese04 View Post
                do you mean like a part number to purchase a new svt radiator? I dont think there are any "SVT specific radiators for the aftermarket anymore. your going to haft to find someone that is parting an svt out or either has a spare.
                I was hoping to get the ford part number for the svt radiator that way i can find a used one easier. I'm sure they are on ebay and such, but just typing in svt radiator in the search gives so many results and most of the results arent even svt radiators. Ideally I could find someone parting out a svt contour, but I never see them on craigslist or anything here

                Comment


                • #9
                  There was never an aftermarket SVT radiator equivalent unfortunately. Your best bet is to send an SVT radiator to Griffen or Fluidyne and they will build you an all aluminum spec'd equivalent. Start up cost is a little high at ~$400.
                  -Mike
                  If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here... Link
                  98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link
                  85 Camaro - 1969 350ci, 503BHP

                  Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Raywagner132 View Post
                    so I ordered new valve springs from npg. they cost $499 - jeepers! but apparently these are leaps and bounds better than the st220.
                    can I ask please, what was the rating of those springs ? thanks ,... G.

                    ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

                    WANTED; Custom gauge guru for ST200 overlay job... pm me..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gorman View Post

                      can I ask please, what was the rating of those springs ? thanks ,... G.
                      The springs are rated between 90-95 lbs of seat pressure and 250 lbs on open pressure. :)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        thanks Ray;

                        are you expecting accelerated wear on the cam's and did you discuss this when you bought the springs ? ie changing follower style ...G.
                        ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

                        WANTED; Custom gauge guru for ST200 overlay job... pm me..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gorman View Post
                          thanks Ray;

                          are you expecting accelerated wear on the cam's and did you discuss this when you bought the springs ? ie changing follower style ...G.
                          I'm not really expecting much - it was just a situation where my guys that's working on the heads recommended springs with 70-75 lbs of seat pressure and my cougar ones, and the 3.0 ones (including the st200) didn't come close, and these were the only ones better that I could find.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X