• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Main TTY bolts are expensive!

hylix

CEG'er
I made the mistake of tearing down a relatively low miles 3L, not expecting to have to pay $250+ for JUST 16 main bolts (last I checked, was expecting to pay ~$100). :(

I don't see any after market sources for the bolts, or non-TTY style replacements. Ford parts dealers are charging up to $20 for ONE bolt. In my area, it's actually cheaper to buy a replacement engine from a junkyard than buy new bolts!

I might contact ARP, (or Fastenal?) to see if they are willing to make replacements, or if they already have some that are not listed in their catalog. (I cannot find ARP 253-5402 anywhere )

It'd be nice to have a non-TTY replacement option(assuming this is even possible).

Can anyone recommend a source for main and rod bolts?

I feel like Ford burned me bad on this one.

(Untitled)

Just reuse the old ones. Haven't had any problems with any of the last 5 engines i've built. It's not a 500hp engine, is it?

Gesendet von meinem PadFone 2 mit Tapatalk

I've been in contact with Joey at NPG about getting some ARP bolts. He has a few people also requesting them from him, not to mention the use of them in his big bore and stroked duratecs, so maybe he can get ARP to produce a small run of their discontinued bolts.

If you want, and can commit to buy these bolts, I'd recommed contacting NPG. I'd speculate that the more orders they get, the more weight they might have to convince ARP to built them again.

Just reuse the old ones. Haven't had any problems with any of the last 5 engines i've built. It's not a 500hp engine, is it?

Gesendet von meinem PadFone 2 mit Tapatalk

This engine has forged rods/pistons, and will be turbocharged. Not taking the risk here. In hind sight, I should have used my other motor for this build, and saved this nice, low mileage one for some N.A. application.

Last edited:
Just spoke to Joey, today.

He managed to get some main bolts (ARP 2000). If anyone wants them, I'd recommend calling NPG about it.

Back