• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Montrese04 3L build with question about the cylinder head

montrese04

Veteran CEG'er
What thickness of head gasket is required. If the dome rise on the piston is (.37), I would not want to take the chance of slapping valves seeing as i don't know what the deck clearance is. I think deck clearance is the proper term to describe (the space between TDC and an open valve)

Other then that, i do have one more question
What is the height of the stock 3L piston from skirt to highest point?

What the expected build is

Full 3L
domed pistons w/.37 rise
forged con rod
4.6L intake valves
p&p heads w/3 angle valve cut
should i deck the block and heads?
gutted pre cats and gutted cat
optimized y-pipe (will do dual exhaust if it makes setup more torque happy)

st220 intake
fidanza flywheel
dmd pulley

still working on the dream transmission due to funds

anybody think i can get 80,000mi out of that set up?

I don't believe you can successfully use 4.6L valves, unless you know something i'm unaware of - No one has ran those.

What makes you pick that dome rise? You should referance Heywoods build.

i did reference haywoods build but i did not pick up on anything noticeable. Other then he did indeed deck the block. but it does not say how much or if he even decked it due to the specific fact that he was making room for deck clearance or just to try and squeeze more compression out of the setup. Or does dome piston and decking go hand in hand. You cant do one w/o the other.

man I've tried to read as much as possible on the internet about domed pistons but there comes a point when you have read too much and it all just confuses you at the thought of it smh. Basically i am frustrated b/c i dont have all the values that these compression calcs require. Nor do I know all of the terms there asking for. I need help someone.

i just would like to p&p 3L heads, do a 3 angle valve job, use 3L cams get forged rods. Plus use pistons with a .37 dome rise. I dont know anything else about gasket thickness or what degree angle is needed on my exhaust valves. I don't understand how to calculate what size maf sensor i need either I'm using st220 intake with optimized 65mm tb.

Back