• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

arts 3l rebuild

art

CEG'er
rebuilt the engine from the ground up , much the same as a lot of rebuilds here , did a lot of the work myself
spec
crankshaft, front pulley, flywheel , clutch , all dynamically balanced with pistons, rods etc, by chesman in Coventry
f1 rods
cp pistons with requested cr of 10.8-1
heads ported by myself,
st200 cams fitted

100_2403.JPG

block cleaned up cylinders honed , and ready for rebuild

100_2410.JPG

crankshaft back from chesman

100_2409.JPG

f1 rods , cp pistons assembled ready to fit

100_2412.JPG

crank assembly reinstalled with new stretch bolts

100_2417.JPG

pistons installed and gaskets in place

new oil pump from mountune, they had dry sumped a couple of new ngines so got a surplus pump at half price

100_2416.JPG

heads ported with a collection of cutters and flap wheels , when looking at the casting they were so rough it is clear ford did not have max power at the top of their list

100_2401.JPG

100_2404.JPG

100_2399.JPG

heads fitted with new gaskets , stretch bolts , in with a set of low mileage st200 cams , chains , tensioners , etc

100_2427.JPG

when the heads were ported turned attention to the lim to see what I could do , stripped them out , ported , modified and put all together again, will it work , who knows but just looks right

limstrip.JPG

lim stripped out, ported , butterflys , and shafts modified

100_2271.JPG

lim rebuilt

100_2272.JPG

butterfly closed , shaft in other port std diameter

100_2273.JPG

butterfly opened, leading edge knife edged , shaft in other port waisted

100_2274.jpg

cylinder head side of lim, showing ports blended together , and shaped to try and match the 3l oval ports better , in fact I used my spare bugsuki plate and used it as a template on the lim to try and match , also better view of waisted shaft

I am very interested to know if this turned out ok for you doing all this porting an stuff... I know it's an old thread.. but I am thinking about going this route myself and wondered what , if any, gains did you see in throttle response/ low end power.

thanks btw great work

hi
meant to update this but just did not get around to it . one thing I can say is highly recommend having the full dynamic balance , the 3l engine now is creamy smooth , not just imagination as I get to compare every time I drive the 2.5 cougar
finished the build with a clutchnet , and quaife diff to handle the 3l extra torque
set up on dyno in april and was making 238 hp crank figure
was not overly impressed and during the summer found a pipe had collapsed in one of the silencers
so had the exhaust re vamped , also went to a 65 mm mustang tb , and fitted a unichip rev extend , redline now 7.500
back to the dyno last week and power now 262 at 7.400 revs at crank , so well pleased at how it is performing now
one thing we found is the engine likes a load put on the rollers to make good top end , just allowing it to spin up the rollers in 4th produces less. maybe someone will have the knowledge to explain this

one thing we found is the engine likes a load put on the rollers to make good top end , just allowing it to spin up the rollers in 4th produces less. maybe someone will have the knowledge to explain this

Art; in the PCM's Maps there is a load MAP. You will probably find the spark advance and fuelling are altered according to the load on the engine. A bit of data logging would probably show some of the adjustments the load Map is making A wideband might shed some light too.

Good to hear you got your car running ...G.

Back