• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Swaping SVT cams and timing components.. What needs replaced??

Lokey CSVT

New CEG'er
Hey guys,

I'll be swaping over the cams and timing components from my 120k mile svt engine to my port matched 04 3L engine. Do I need to replace the chain or tensioner or etc. cause of wear?? I think the SVT motor had 120k miles on it. Is it a good idea to get a new chain or are those things pretty stout? Thanks for the help

I would replace the chains, tensioners and sprockets with new components. They do wear and stretch/weaken over time and anytime they are reused, problems could arise.

We have always reused ours. There will be wear but it is minimal. The chain tension is automatic so it can take up quite a bit of slack without issue. I like to reuse them simply because the chains and sprockets wear together. If they look worn badly then replace them, otherwise they don't break.

You need to keep everything together, so the tensioners, chains, cams and crank gear need to match.

I reused my 2.5L chains, guides and tensioners when I installed SVT cams. All of that was then transferred to my 3L.

As suggested, inspect and replace as needed.

Also do note that some have used the 3L tensioners and guides with the 2.5L chains. The ones I know of haven't had any issues. But I feel its better to keep everything matched.

funny thing I noticed on both my st24 ,and st220 3l that the chains were driven by 2 crank sprockets, but the st200 [svt] that I have used along with the cams , tensioners, is machined as a single piece

For what it's worth I am personally running SVT cams with all original chains and tensioners. IIRC I swapped the plastic guides from the 3L components to the 2.5L because it was the only item that had some wear. Or I used the complete 3L guides, one of the two, probably the first. Put about 3,000 miles since I swapped it no problems. I haven't personally heard of a timing chain on this motor ever failing.

I'm about to be in the process of installing a 3L in my SVT. If I swap my cams over, does anything else need replaced besides keeping everything mentioned here the same? I've read where the lifters are the same. What about valve springs? Some guys claim the 3L cams fall off after 5500 RPMs. If that's the case, are the 3L springs good enough for the SVT cams? Any help is appreciated.

I would say it depends on what you want to do. I just swapped the cams and left the 3L valves and springs in my ported 3L. It handles the SVT cams fine so far. Many others have done the same.

Put about 50,000+ miles on my 3.0L with unknown mileage SVT Cams and components since last post. Original tensioners chains and whatnot. I did take off the plastic guide off the 3.0L bits and transferred it to the older slide holder so it had fresh plastic on it.

Back