• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Couple of Port-matched 3L swap questions

Lokey CSVT

New CEG'er
Just a few questions, I'm getting a rough list together for a port-matched 3l swap I will be attempting soon in my 99svt :crazy:.

Do I need to worry about the coil pack bracket I've seen around or will I not need one because I'll be doing a pm swap?

The motor I'm getting is an '04 Taurus motor,

Do I still need the 05 escape oil pan?

Thanks guys I'm sure I'll have more soon..

No worries for the coil pack - you just reuse your current one which mounts to the UIM.

Escape oil pan is optional. you can reuse your 2.5 by swapping over the dipstick and oil pickup or you can use the taurus one, it just sits a bit lower and if I remember what others said correctly there are 1 or 2 bolts that don't go back in on the trans.

Thanks Heywood.

I'm still refreshing my memory but I thought there was better cooling or something in addition to not leaving those 2 bolts unused, that made those escape oil pans the way to go.

Now I'm deciding on the gaskets. This should be a fun search. I'm thinking I'll prolly need them for the 2.5 and 3l.

Thanks Heywood.

I'm still refreshing my memory but I thought there was better cooling or something in addition to not leaving those 2 bolts unused, that made those escape oil pans the way to go.

Now I'm deciding on the gaskets. This should be a fun search. I'm thinking I'll prolly need them for the 2.5 and 3l.
No extra cooling. The escape pans have the baffle that used to be coveted on here. Not so much anymore... U can use the one from the 3L. As for gaskets, i usually go with either OEM or FelPro.

Yeah, it was the baffling and also the Taurus pan sits lower to the ground which was a concern for some. Reusing the one from your 2.5 is the way to go if you ask me.

In a port match swap the engine will look no different then the engine that it is replacing. Because of this the 2.5L valve covers will be reused and the coil pack mounts to them. A straight 3L requires a coil bracket.

What is this pm swap you mentioned?

The Escape oil pan is upgraded from the factory 2.5L oil pan. It has additional baffles that the oem 2.5L pan does not have. So that is your call on what one to run. There is a theory then the 3L pan has caused engine failures due to its different shape. And as noted there are two transmission bolts that go into the pan that can't be used with the Taurus pan.

Either way one goes make sure that the oil pick up and dip stick match the oil pan.

What is this pm swap you mentioned?

The Escape oil pan is upgraded from the factory 2.5L oil pan. It has additional baffles that the oem 2.5L pan does not have. So that is your call on what one to run. There is a theory then the 3L pan has caused engine failures due to its different shape. And as noted there are two transmission bolts that go into the pan that can't be used with the Taurus pan.

Either way one goes make sure that the oil pick up and dip stick match the oil pan.

I meant pm as port-matched.

I also think the baffles are a pretty big upgrade. I'm thinking it really makes a difference while cornering.

Is the escape oil pan included in that theory of 3L oil pan's possibly causing engine failures? If so then maybe I should use the stock svt pan

If I go with the escape pan will I need an escape oil pickup or will the oil pickup out of the 3L taurus motor work?

3l engines fail because the std rods are rubbish. They stretch and eve tually allows the big end shells to spini

Is the escape oil pan included in that theory of 3L oil pan's possibly causing engine failures? If so then maybe I should use the stock svt pan

If I go with the escape pan will I need an escape oil pickup or will the oil pickup out of the 3L taurus motor work?

Escape pan is the same as the 2.5 with more baffling. You can use the 2.5 pickup and dipstick. While the escape pan is an improvement for sure, I'm not sure its that big of a benefit for a regular driver. Track queen - knock yourself out!

Escape pan is the same as the 2.5 with more baffling. You can use the 2.5 pickup and dipstick. While the escape pan is an improvement for sure, I'm not sure its that big of a benefit for a regular driver. Track queen - knock yourself out!

Thanks for the info on the pickup.

It will be a spirited daily driver but not a track queen. There are some pretty wicked cloverleaf on ramps that I use daily though ;)

Back