• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 in a 98-00 SE W/ SVT Top End ?'s

BigRed95

New CEG'er
So here is what i have been dreaming up. I have a 99 csvt that runs perfectly. However, it was totaled from a rear collision. The car has been driven the passed 2 years this way. What i want to do is find a contour SE with a 2.5 and mtx and swap everything over plus doing a 3.0 block. From what i have researched, I think the best way to do this is snag an escape block, and fuel rail, and use the cams, heads, intake, oil pan, and other oil components from the csvt. I guess my question is, am i on the right path and will what i have fit into a base modeled contour? I think that since the top end will be the same, the only thing i will have to modify is the actual block. Things like the Egr tube and the tb and bracket modifications wouldn't apply. Would i be better off to swap pcm's also, assuming the csvt computer would be more applicable. If so, is it a direct swap? Like i said im going to have to switch all suspension, brakes, interior, etc. all over, but im not so worried about that since it was based on that model anyhow. Thank you in advance for any and all advance.
-Eric

ya i have searched it but i guess i just wanted some reassurance or some kinda advice to what snags i may have along the way.

Search in the Old Forums. You'll be reassured when you see how others have done. Btw, you don't NEED an Escape motor, it's just nice.

And yes, a PCM swap would be in your favor, since the SE runs 17lb injectors, but the SVT runs the 19lb ones that you'd need for the 3L, wherein if you used the SE PCM you would immediately need a tune just for the car to run, at least with the SVT PCM (which you have anyway) you wouldn't need to tune for that. I would say if you are going to do it, swap everything possible from the SVT to the SE and go from there.

And yes, a PCM swap would be in your favor, since the SE runs 17lb injectors, but the SVT runs the 19lb ones that you'd need for the 3L, wherein if you used the SE PCM you would immediately need a tune just for the car to run, at least with the SVT PCM (which you have anyway) you wouldn't need to tune for that. I would say if you are going to do it, swap everything possible from the SVT to the SE and go from there.

thats a big negative on the PCM swap to just make it run. ctmystique has had a hybrid running for a few months on stock 17# injectors and PCM, this is also with stock SE upper end. he has recently upgraded to 19# injectors and I just swapped a SVT pcm into his car for him yesterday.

pm warmonger, he can tune with your SE PCM to do what ever you need.

However if you don't want to have to tune the car for awhile or at all you can install the 19# injectors and SVT PCM and your car should run fine. CSVT1214 has put near 40k on a untuned hybrid.

also you are going to have PATs issues depending on what year the car is that you are going to swap the motor in. But that is more detail for later.

Last edited:
Well he doesn't really need it, though I thought that running 17# injectors was a bad idea for a 3L, but regardless of whether or not he needs it, if he has the parts, why not?

And fuel rail from a escape? You would use hte svt fuel rail. The escape has a returnless fuel setup and the svt has a return. Unless its a late 99-00. Which if you had one of those I would do a straight 3L. Thats what I did anyway. And I wouldnt use a escape motor unless it was like brand new cause ford has sand issues with the escape motors. THats why so many of them are tanking. And use the escape oil pad. Its a better design.

Back